Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Big Brother on my arm


I am temporarily (permanently) attached to a device that sits on the back of my arm and is attempting to measure my metabolism – as in desired information being calories consumed (recorded by me and testing my honesty) and calories expanded, measured by the device! Bodymedia fit make this device called a sensor armband. I am trialling this device as I see value in the information for coaches or trainers who are helping people make lifestyle changes. This is being a very interesting experience for me on many counts:

  1. It is making me become very aware of what I consume, how I consume it and what influences my choices.
  2. It has added yet another task to my day on the computer which I resist madly.
  3. I am now really thinking about how much movement is in my life, intentional or planned.

So what have I learnt so far?
  • I’m pretty active, especially since my work involves a lot of (as noted) computer work!
  • I can’t sit still for very long – will find an excuse to move from my office.
  • I often eat without thinking and my choices get worse when not planned ahead.
  • Which then makes me realize that I am often “reactive” – to hunger, fatique, convenience, whereas I would prefer to be responsive to my brain and my body at least in choosing what I eat.
  • I sleep more than I thought - despite waking several times a night I still average about 7 hours. Yay. I love sleep and am not very good without it.

If I can learn from this device, imagine what people who really do want to lose weight can learn from their movement, eating and sleep patterns! To me it seems like a very useful tool in the change process. Step number one - First establish what you do!

More later in the week when I tell you how it responds to my rather varied exercise pattern and my thoughts on whether knowing the “what” is enough to prompt action.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Fiona, I love the Rider and the Elephant analogy in an earlier blog. How do you see this fitting in with creating an easier path for the Elephant and helping to establish new, healthier roads that the Elephant is comfortable with. I know my Elephant is a belligerent brute who always want to have his way and it's not easy to retrain him. Cheers Tim

    ReplyDelete